Thursday, October 11, 2012

Raspberry Mille-feuille



Mille- Feuille- noun \mēl-ˈfwē, mēl-ˈfœ-ē\

I bet it left you clueless as well like me. But hey this dessert is actually easier than learning how it is pronounced.( I just wish I know how to speak french yeah?) 
 Mille - Feuille is a french term of a classic dessert Napoleon. See now we're talking!

Napoleon is actually composed of pastry layers and cream or custard. But after watching last night's episode of Baking Made Easy by Lorraine Pascal on Lifestyle Channel, I couldn't take my mind off of it.

So I told myself: "Let's make it!!"

Ingeredients:
1 recipe of puff pastry 
raspberries
whipping cream
1 lemon
flour or icing sugar for dusting
baking paper and baking sheet
rolling pin
knife

So exciting! Let's begin 


 


 1. Roll out your puff pastry on a dusted surface until you reach your desired thinness, about 1/4 inch. Make sure its chilled and thawed for 3 minutes.

Tippies:
* Don't ever remove the cling wrap or whatever it is covering your puff until thawed or else it will condensate and you wouldn't want water on your pastry dough.
*It is easier to roll the dough in between two sheets of cling wrap. Then every time, release the dough from the wrap for the dough to flatten easily (A tip from Martha Stewart)


 2. Sprinkle with flour or icing sugar every time needed to prevent the dough from sticking to the cling wrap.

Mental note; Next time I'll just use flour for dusting. Icing sugar caramelized the puff while cooking.

 3. After you reach the thinness you desire, cut the dough using your sparing knife into uniform slices.

Tippies:
*Cut the dough with a bigger knife and don't slide the knife through the dough. Just cut it through! It might ruin those beautiful layers of the puff and might hinder the puffing. Hehe I like the word puffing


 Didn't I just tell you about the caramelization? Well it added a signature crunch that I also liked. soo no regrets!
 See those nice ice flaky layers?.. I can't help it! It's so fragrant that I took a bite once it came out of the oven! haha I guess not only a bite I might just ate too much.
 4. Make your whipping cream.
I don't keep any recipe of whipping cream for no other reason than it's so easy to make.
Pour the cream on a clean cold bowl and add sugar to taste. Whip until you reach just medium peaks. Fold the lemon juice. Of course add it according to your taste preference. yeah?
 5. Transfer the cream to a piping bag with a round nozzle (7-10M) and pipe blobs of whipping cream on top. Garnish with raspberries

Tippies:
*You can also just snip off the end of your pastry bag if you don't have a piping tip. 



This dish was supposed to be piles of puff pastry sandwiching the lemon cream and topped with raspberry. A classic french Mille feuille. But I ran out of puff hehe because I ate some earlier. 

Hope you enjoyed our trip to Paris!

XOXO

Arah♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...